Sunday, December 10, 2017

Precooking for Shabbat During a Busy Week

For those of us who are Jewish Sabbath Observers, winter Fridays before dusk aren't very long, and during weeks when we're not home at all on Thursday, we must get "creative." This is especially difficult for me, since my kitchen is pretty limited, one of the reasons I need to renovate it. I only have two electric burners for cooking.

I knew that last week would be difficult for Shabbat preparation, since not only was Friday short, but I had plans for Friday morning. So, I cooked the chicken on Monday, as soon as I had bought it.


Thursday, I not only took out the cooked chicken from the freezer, but also what had been left over from the stuffed peppers I had made a few weeks earlier. I also took out the liquid from the cooked chicken, which I used to flavor the rice for Shabbat.

The remaining cooking was just vegetables, rice, plus boiling water and then using the rice that had been cooked parve in two new recipes. I'll have to tell you about them later.

Everything can get done, with planning.

No comments: