Friday, December 01, 2017

Fun Evening of 60s Music in Jerusalem

Last Tuesday night I had a wonderful time with old friends, some whom I've actually known since the 1960's. Yes, that dates us, but as the saying goes:
"The alternative would be worse."
At our age, when most of us are retired or super busy with post-retirement activities and even businesses, we try to live every second to its fullest. We all know that the more difficult time of old age can begin without warning any time at all, Gd forbid.

When I saw an event on my friend's facebook page, Back to the 60s - Cafe Night & Music in Jerusalem for last Tuesday night, I quickly checked if I could join her. And I'm glad I did. Not only did I get to spend an enjoyable evening with that friend, but lots of other friends from the 60s came over to say hello. I hope to attend more of their events, as long as the organizers don't mind.


I got a kick out of the fact that such young performers knew the songs I sang in my teens.  This was more of a "singalong," 60s "kumzitz," than a performance. The repertoire was a combination of folk music, Beatles and a bit of Rock 'n Roll, since Twist and Shout had us literally shouting along. And I doubt if I was the only once who had to force myself to stay seated. My body wanted to dance!

I got more information about the group from one of the organizers:
This is a volunteer effort to answer the needs of the active adult (50+ years old) English speaking community. As the neighborhoods of Armon Hanatziv, Arnona and Talpiot are far from the center of the city where there are programs, Shlomo Fisherowitz and Carol Silk decided to create an answer to the needs by developing Anglos of South Jerusalem at the area matnas. Contact for the group is by email at aosjerusalem@gmail and/or via the Facebook page.
My many friends who live in the area are excited about the activities, as I am. I thank the organizers and wish them good health and many more productive years.

No comments: