Friday, November 10, 2017

An Advantage of a Poor Memory

To be honest, I haven't had a great memory for decades. I don't think it was all that bad when  was young, very young. But in more recent decades I trust my sense of logic and observation to help me get things done. That's especially true when it comes to using modern appliances and equipment, like the smartphone and computer.

I discovered quite a while ago that the instructions are usually on the screen, and most versions are based on the same sort of logic.

Way back when... I'd never touch a new appliance, whether a blender or oven without reading the instruction book cover to cover. And I even read the entire Dr. Spock baby/child healthcare book from beginning to end when pregnant with my first. The instructions and warnings I carefully memorized have cluttered my brain long after the appliances ceased to function.

In recent years, not only did I find the booklets' written instructions more complicated than the "menus" on the screen, but there's no way I can remember them all. A number of years ago during the days of "word processors," I helped out in an office, and the secretary begged me to take over the computer, since the program wasn't the same as most of us had at home. In all honesty, I couldn't see any real difference.

When I visit the states, people generously offer to let me use their home computers, which are inevitably completely different from mine, apple vs a simple pc. Within a few minutes I adjust. And recently, I've helped lots of friends to function on their computers and smartphones. None of them have the brands and models I own. I just work slowly and look carefully at the screen. So many things are basically the same, even iphones and android models.

I hardly notice when the computer or phone does an automatic update. Just read, and you'll find what you need. It's not all that hard. Don't forget the "undo," Ctrl/Z. It's a lifesaver...


No comments: