Sunday, June 04, 2017

Pishers Guide to Jerusalem, New Loo #15 Up Close

This is a continuation in my ongoing series about public toilets in Jerusalem. See#19#18#17#16,  #15,  #14#13#12#11#10#9,  #8#7,  #6,  #5, Saved by The First Station aka #4a#4#3#2 and #1

A few weeks ago when I reviewed Pishers' Guide to Jerusalem #15, New "Pit Stop" in Town, I was so excited by the location and rushed for time, I didn't get a really good look at what it offers. I had walked in, and it smelled clean, but then I had to rush out. So, the other day, since I had time, I decided that it would be a good idea to inspect it. It's just off of Jaffa Street by the entrance to Nachalat Shiva and Rivlin Street.

First of all, you should know that there are only three stalls, men, women and handicapped. When I entered, I went towards the Women's but was signalled that it was occupied. I could see that the Handicapped one was available, so that's where I went. It was clean, had soap and toilet paper. There was an empty dispenser for "seat-covers," but since you rarely get them in Israel outside of airports that's fine.


I was surprised to see a water fountain, since that is definitely not standard equipment in the municipal public toilets here. You can find them in large stores, malls and the Israel Museum. As you can see, this one even has the high spout/faucet for refilling water bottles.

This one also has a fold-out diaper changing table. They are becoming pretty standard in malls and large stores, but I hadn't seen one in any of the municipal loos before.

The modern shiny stainless steel sinks, counters, etcetera all looked well cared for. Of course, everything is pretty new.

This Public Toilet, like many in Jerusalem, seems to have someone responsible for cleaning and replenishing supplies on duty most of the time. So, the Municipality must have quite a budget for this department. That makes it all the more peculiar that, davka, in Safra Square, the location of the Jerusalem Municipality and Mayor's office, the upkeep, or more correctly lack of upkeep of the Public Toilets is so inexplicable and inconsistent with the relatively high standard you find throughout Jerusalem.

I hope that this is helpful. Please let me know of suggestions, thanks.

No comments: