Friday, April 28, 2017

Treating Ourselves at Piccolino

Tuesday night was the start of Rosh Chodesh (the beginning of the Jewish Month of)  Iyar, and my friend and I had made a dinner date. Especially since Rosh Chodesh is traditionally known as the "Women's Holiday," we decided that we needed a treat. And when it comes to a treat, a very special meal, there's absolutely nothing like Piccolino.

Just to make sure we'd get a table, we called in advance, though maybe due to the late hour, there was room. They have seating indoors, including private rooms for groups and events, outside in the closed area, and there were also people sitting outside closer to the live music. We heard the music fine in the closed area, which no doubt will be opened up when summer starts, and evenings are warmer.


The waitress suggested we begin our meal with something new. We didn't catch the name of it, but we ate it all up. There were cheese and vegetables baked in a very delicate dough, served with a small salad. It's just the thing to nosh on when waiting for soup.

We chose two different soups, and we were both very happy with our choices. My friend ordered their very popular Minestrone Soup, while I took the "Soup of the Day" which was Zucchini. And it was amazing. Usually I'm a bit nervous about ordering soups, since some restaurants over-salt theirs. But this Zucchini soup was perfection. I could taste the very delicate flavor of the zucchini and finished every last drop.

We also ordered different main courses. My friend had the Risotto, which was so filling she couldn't finish it. But there's a good chance, that she was already pretty full from the soup and starter. It's a full meal on its own with all the vegetables, rice and cheese.

I also chose Italian. I had their Eggplant Parmesan, which although is listed as a First Course, is really a full meal, especially if you'd already eaten as much as I had. This, too, I finished to the last drop. The tomato sauce was fantastic, and I finished that, too.

And of course, being that we were in Piccolino to be spoiled and celebrate Rosh Chodesh Iyar, we had dessert. I think that the waitress called it a "Brownie."


It was all worth it, even though I'll have to work hard to knock off the weight gain.

Yes, of course I recommend Piccolino. That's why I return when I want a nice dairy meal in Jerusalem with delicious food, unbeatable ambiance and great service. You definitely get your money's worth. And their prices are comparable to the chains. You can get a very reasonably priced meal, with far superior food.

12 Yoel Moshe Solomon Street, in Music Square, Nachalat Shiva, Jerusalem
Reservations: Call 02-6244186
Nava@piccolino.co.il
Sunday to Thursday 10:00-24:00, The kitchen is open until 23:00
Friday and before Jewish holidays from 9:00-15:00, The kitchen is open until 14:00
Saturday from an hour after Shabbat ends until Midnight, The kitchen is open until 23:00

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really a great place, you can also have a very very nice meat lunch at "Kinor baKikar", which is the restaurant in front of Picolino, on the other side of the place. It's quite more expensive, but worth every cent (for special occasions) !

Batya said...

meat or dairy?