Thursday, April 06, 2017

Horseradish and Ginger, Two Powerhouses

horseradish to the left and ginger to the right

Horseradish and Ginger. At first glance these two roots look a bit similar, and they'd be even moreso if the horseradish was fresher. I've been eating both everyday recently.

It used to be that we only bought horseradish root before Passover, and then we, or my husband more exactly, would grate* it, add some vinegar and it would be our ceremonial "bitter herb" at the Seder and the condiment for gefilte fish.

During the big Russian (USSR) exodus of Jews to Israel over twenty years ago, new immigrant neighbors discovered that we had freshly grated horseradish and requested portions for medicinal reasons.
Horseradish is a powerful and pungent plant that is connected to a wide variety of health benefits, including its ability to aid weight loss, lower blood pressure, alleviate respiratory conditions, build strong bones, improve immune system health, stimulate healthy digestion, promote heart health, and lower the chances of neural tube defects in infants. Perhaps most notably, horseradish can prevent cancer due to its extremely high levels of glucosinolates. For complete article click here.
One Passover a few decades ago I began putting horseradish on all sorts of foods, even my breakfast omelet, and since then I try to keep a stock all year long.

More recently I've discovered the joys and flavors of fresh ginger root. It adds a totally delicious "punch" to many foods, from fruit salad to chicken to an Israeli favorite, "orange soup." I've been cooking it up in my omelets every morning. Yes, everything seems to go in my omelets.
Ginger Root Benefits
Ginger root (Zingiber officinale) is well known as a remedy for travel sickness, nausea and indigestion and is used for wind, colic, irritable bowel, loss of appetite, chills, cold, flu, poor circulation, menstrual cramps, dyspepsia (bloating, heartburn, flatulence), indigestion and gastrointestinal problems such as gas and stomach cramps.
Uses
Ginger has been well researched and many of its traditional uses confirmed. It is a warming remedy, ideal for boosting the circulation, lowering high blood pressure and keeping the blood thin in higher doses. Ginger is anti-viral and makes a warming cold and flu remedy.
Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory herb and there has been much recent interest in its use for joint problems. It has also been indicated for arthritis, fevers, headaches, toothaches, coughs, bronchitis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, to ease tendonitis, lower cholesterol and blood-pressure and aid in preventing internal blood clots. For complete article click here.
The ginger root should be frozen for storage. I have a feeling that if I do the same with the horseradish it will keep longer. Enjoy, and tell me what you do with those great healthy and tasty roots.

*Well over forty 40 years ago I bought a simple Moulinex blender which has a coffee bean grinder. Since then, the grinder does the horseradish grating. And during the year, when I want freshly grated horseradish, I use my food-processor.

No comments: