Wednesday, March 08, 2017

I Had No Idea, This Would Be So Popular

You may know that I write a daily, except Shabbat, #morningcoffeehaiku and since a haiku is a poetic form based on syllables, 5, 7, 5, I needed some advice.
Would you consider "tired" one syllable or two? Need to know asap, thanks.
The answers, OK, debate are continuing. Here are a few:
  • 2
  • One.
  • In the south it's at least 3.
  • Definitely region dependent
  • Yeah I was born in Brooklyn. There the question, "Did you eat yet?" has only one syllable: "Jeet?"
  • That depends on just how tired I am! 
  • one for me. Depends on where you live 
  • Two. But my South African husband says it in one. Tahd.
  • See a dictionary entry. 2 syllables.
  • 1 your jaw drops only once.
  • why not 2? there are 2 separate vowel sounds-check in a good old-fashioned dictionary /it shows the separation
  • it's not ty-red. It's ti -erd can't you trust a teacher with 40 years experience.
What do you think?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you quoted me twice ! YESH !!!

Batya said...

😆

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
I searched the phonetic spelling and discovered that there is such a thing as a triphthong.(At least according to some phoneticians.)

Batya said...

I always thought that it was three letters like "thr.." "str.." etc