Friday, May 27, 2016

"Italian Salad" at Jerusalem's Iconic "Cafe Rimon"

I asked that they "hold the croutons," which made the salad better as far as I'm concerned. 

This week a friend and I met at what may be the oldest, open since 1953, Jerusalem restaurant still going strong, Cafe Rimon.  Over the years, the Rimon has gone from dairy to meat and now has two, one of each, side by side, just off of Zion Square, Jerusalem.

It was recently (at least since my last visit a couple of years ago) redecorated and now has a handicapped WC (toilet) on the main floor. Rimon looks incredibly modern now. It's open every day except Shabbat, closing an hour before and opening an hour after. You can get a 10% discount from Eluna.

I was in the mood for a salad and also didn't want to pay too much. I took the "Italian Salad" from the long list of NS49 lunch specials and requested that it be without croutons. There was lots of pesto, which I love, and it was very filling. I didn't even touch the tempting rolls which accompanied it.

My friend and I sat in a quiet corner inside, outstaying the other lunch customers. We weren't nudged to leave by the staff. By the time we left, "lunch hour" was long over. For those who like the ambiance of outdoor cafe eating, there are lots of tables where you can watch the foot traffic in downtown Jerusalem.

It's obvious the the owners are trying hard to have "Cafe Rimon" live forever.

4 Luntz St, Jerusalem
Tel: 1-599-50-10-30; 02-625-2772; 02-624-3746
Kashrut: Mehadrin Badatz Yerushalayim
Open Sunday - Thursday: 24 hours. Friday: until one hour before Shabbat.
Motzai Shabbat: from one hour after Shabbat. Closed Shabbat.

No comments: