Tuesday, March 15, 2016

"Sister" Restaurants, Piccolino and Mansfeld

Last week I ended up eating out a lot, during my usual two days in Jerusalem. Both days I had lunch in the Israel Museum, in the dairy Mansfeld Cafe. And both times I had suggested it to visitors who wanted a location where they wouldn't have to pay for parking. The Israel Museum was perfect for them, and they were very impressed by the food, prices and service there. And of course, visiting the museum (entrance fee) was an added bonus to the location.

Salmon plate at Mansfeld
One of my friends ordered the Salmon, and said that she never orders salmon in restaurants, because the price is always so high, but in Mansfeld it was very reasonable.



Mansfeld, the Museum's dairy cafés, are named after Al Mansfeld, the first architect of the Israel Museum and winner of the Israel Prize for Architecture for his design of the Museum. The café's rich menu includes home-baked goods, cakes, sandwiches, salads and hot dishes. The café is suitable for hosting private events. Mansfeld is kosher dairy under the supervision of the Chief Rabbinate of Jerusalem, Mehadrin 
Dining in the café does not require purchase of an admissions ticket to the Museum. Museum members and Friends of the Israel Museum are entitled to a 10% discount.
Parking is free and the restaurant is accessible to all. 
Open: Sun, Mon, Wed, Thurs 8 am - 5 pm | Tues 8 am - 9 pm | Fri 8 am - 2 pm.
For inquiries: 02-5636280; fax: 02-561-8399; cafe@mansfeld.co.il To arrange events: 054-884-7133 or 050-997-8800

For dinner, that Wednesday evening, before going to STARS OVER JERUSALEM I, I went to Piccolino, owned by the same family as Mansfeld, which is always a treat. I was on my own and asked for a quiet table, since I had a book with me which I need to finish reading.  If I had been feeling more sociable, I would have sat at the bar. I ordered their Pea Soup which had that homemade taste, rare in a restaurant soup.


Then I got a perfect salad of tomatoes, cheese and basil.  I ate all of this with their delicious house bread. It was the perfect meal after a busy day before a busy evening.


Piccolino Dairy Italian Restaurant, Glatt Kosher, is located in a historic stone building at 12 Yoel Moshe Solomon Street, in Music Square, Nachalat Shiva, Jerusalem. Piccolino offers a menu that combines simplicity and uncompromising quality. Reservations for evening hours are recommended Call 02-6244186. There are private rooms for events and celebrations. 

No comments: