Thursday, July 12, 2012

At The Kotel, The Unexpected is Routine

The other day I found myself in Jerusalem with a couple of hours and nothing to do between appointments.  It was afternoon, time for Mincha, the afternoon prayer, so considering that the very numerous Jerusalem synagogues which fill for the prayer don't usually have their Ezrat Nashim, Women's Galleries open, I figured I go to the one place that is always open to women.  Yes, I went to the Kotel.

It's not that I "worship" the Kotel, the opposite.  I consider it a place of mourning.  We should be praying on Har HaBayit, the Temple Mount.  But there are times, when praying at the Kotel and being part of a large group of sincere Jews in prayer is good for the soul, so I walked there from the Municipality, Safra Square lightrail station.

Once I got into the large open square I saw that there was an army group for a ceremony.


There were also lots of sick and/or handicapped youngsters visiting, each with a counselor to help.


As I was leaving, a large group of kids in Gush Katif orange arrived singing.



You never know what you're going to find at the Kotel.

No comments: