Saturday, June 25, 2011

New Veggie Combination and New Salad, Too

I'm trying to use up food that we have, since we're off to...



We have some mitzvot to do in Chutz La'Aretz, out of the HolyLand.

Searching the fridge, I discovered two cabbages I bought a couple of weeks ago. A red one and a green one.

With the red cabbage I made a simple, colorful salad.  I cut up all the ingredients, slicing the apples and carrots as thin as I could.  You can do the cutting in a food processor.
  • red cabbage
  • apple (I used granny smith, but any apple would taste good)
  • carrots
  • olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • I would have added raisins or dried cranberries, but I don't keep them in the house, because I'd eat them all immediatedly.
I cooked the green cabbage with onion, carrots, tomato paste and ginger root.  First I sauteed the onions, ginger and carrots.  Then I added the cabbage and tomato paste and some boiling water to dilute the tomato paste.  This was really delicious and so easy to make.  If I had enough squash, I would have added it, too.  Most vegetables would taste good with this, or you can use it for a sauce to serve with pasta or over hamburgers or meatlof or fish or just about anything!

2 comments:

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
Granny Smith (we like to call them Savta Hadad) are much better than any other kind of apple for a non-fruit dishes.

Batya said...

There's something special in the crunch.