Wednesday, April 13, 2011

That Was Fast, Flour Gone

When I went through the freezer to get it ready for Passover, I discovered over a kilo of very expensive whole wheat flour.  It's the type that's frozen immediately after being ground and kept frozen when transported and then stored in the freezer section of our local supermarket.  This prevents any infestations of bugs, so it doesn't need sifting.  Sifting is a total and utter nightmare for those who like to bake with whole wheat flour.  The holes in the sifter are usually too small for the tiny pieces of wheat.  That causes a major "traffic jam" when sifting.  What's the purpose of buying whole wheat when you find yourself throwing out the healthy stuff?

I couldn't decide what to do with it.  I really don't bake any more, and there weren't any occasions to donate cakes.  When my neighbor called asking for something for Shabbat Mevorchim, the Sabbath before Rosh Chodesh, Kiddush, she specified that there were more than enough cakes being offered.  I guess my neighbors were emptying their freezers of flour and cake.

Last night, when I came home from work, I saw that someone had sent out an email to the community that she had white flour "first come, first serve" for anyone who wants.  That gave me the idea to post about my whole wheat flour.  About a half hour later I got a rushed call:
"Do you still have the flour?"
"Yes"
"Really? I always miss these things, calling too late."
"No, this time it's yours.  Nobody else has called."
She ran over to get it, and I gave her a bonus, some of those things you freeze for simple flavored ices.  Here in Israel we get them without food coloring.  She said that her kids would love them.  I'm glad to have gotten them out of my house.

Remember:
One person's junk is another person's treasure.

No comments: