Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Plans? Me?

There's the saying that "man plans and G-d laughs."  I've decided to just ride the waves.  Whatever happens is meant to happen.  When I was a kid we went to Jones Beach, Long Island, a lot.  There are good waves there, at least according to the standards of little kids.  This is pre-surfing I don't know if anyone surfs there.

My father taught me how the "jump" the waves.  If you don't know how to handle yourself in waves, you can be knocked down, injured, even drown, G-d forbid.  So, when I say that I'll just ride the waves, I don't expect to be pushed around and let the water ride over me.

You're supposed to jump with the wave keeping your head above water.  The higher the wave, the higher the jump.  Yes, that's life.

2 comments:

Risa Tzohar said...

My childhood 'swimming' experience was soooooo similar. I am much more comfortable in the ocean than in a pool. But besides jumping the waves which is the challenge there is also riding the waves which we used to do by closing our eyes and making a 'point' with our hands and letting the wave carry us closer to shore. I guess there are times for that too.
I wish I could go back to Jones Beach circa 1958.
Chodesh Tov,
Sorry I can't be at the tel this month.

Batya said...

Ahh, Risa, do you think we could have been jumping the same waves....?
Next month?