Thursday, October 01, 2009

Looking at The House With New Eyes

Many middle-aged plus will confirm this:  We may have an "empty nest" in terms of residents in our homes.  The kids have moved out, but their possessions remain.  And not only that, whatever shelves or closets which had been emptied are now full of our additional things.  I guess that my husband and I have more clothes than we did twenty years ago when the kids were home full-time.

Now, to fit my father in the house is a challenge.  I changed things around a lot when my daughter got married and we became grandparents, so that the young family could easily visit for Shabbat and Holydays.  Now it's time to rethink and rearrange again.

About 33 years ago, when we were on shlichut (doing Jewish youth work) in London, I bought a dresser.  I really like it but over the years it found its way in one of the kids' bedrooms.  In recent years I began filling it with my things, winter sweaters, hats, tablecloths etc.  It's in the room we'll be giving to my father.  There's another closet there large enough for his needs once it's emptied out.

I'd really like use of the dresser, but there's no room in my room, nor in the other two bedrooms nor the den.  I began to look for alternatives for it, thought about the corner of the hallway, took out the measuring tape, and... yes it will fit.  OK the hall will be a bit narrower there, but it's worth it, since I need the dresser.

On with my day...

No comments: