Saturday, April 18, 2009

Is This An Unhealthy Invitation To Anorexia?


I have nothing against weight loss diets. Actually, I've been "publicly dieting" myself. Scroll down to previous posts to see how much weight I've lost.


But I wonder how realistic and healthy this catty New York Times article really is.
Granted, Denzel Washington has aged and gotten heavier in recent years, but is he really overweight? I've always heard that "the camera adds pounds." And it's true that thin bodies photograph better. Some padding may be fun to pinch, but it doesn't always look great on the screen.
How long can most people stay "movie star thin?" Even for those who don't overeat, it may not be their natural weight. Actors are human; at least I hope so.
Many studies have shown that it's healthier in the long run to be on the heavier end of recommended weight per height than the lower. Overly thin celebrities only encourage people to over-diet and eating disorders to emulate their bodies. For most people to get that thin is unhealthy.
Michael Cieply should find something else to criticize, like all the plastic surgery, botox etc.

No comments: