Sunday, February 01, 2009

There's Nothing Like Cooked Vegetables

I have a number of neighbors who are on raw vegetable diets. They don't "cook," just use a "dryer" for some things. Our local doctor opposes the diet.

Many years ago, I was on it for a short period of time. Then I was the only one. When eating raw food, I needed tons of food to feel satisfied.

One of the reasons I feel so good on Start Fresh kosher weight loss diet is that I'm eating a lot of cooked vegetables. For instance, last night I was feeling hungry, so instead of taking something with sugar, carbohydrates or fat, I filled a bowl with cooked vegetables, heated them to "warm" in the microwave, and ate them. Afterwards I felt full and satisfied.




Yes, all sorts of cooked vegetables can fill you up without making you gain weight.

The upper picture is artichokes, just before cooking. The best way of making them is very simple:
  • cut the stem up to the flowery part
  • soak in salted water, and rinse well to get bugs which hide in the "petals."
  • add some garlic and lemon and then water, not to cover the artichokes.
  • Boil until the "petals" pull off without any effort.

The second picture is of the vegetables I baked this week. There are no real rules when it comes to baking the vegetables. You can bake almost anything, except leaves which are too delicate. Just remember that the denser the vegetable the smaller the pieces should be compared to the more water-filled ones. Simply put, the root vegetables, like carrots and potatoes, are to be smaller than squash and pepper. Add a little bit of oil for taste and vitamin absorption. Many vitamins, like Vitamin A, need some oil for easy absorption in the body.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me.

I find myself relying on the vegetables and fruits that are in season and require as little preparation as possible. Not that roasting vegetables is particularly difficult, but it always seems to take far too long for me.

It's odd - no one seems to eat artichokes here in America. I've only had them in Israel. In any case, I think they're fun to eat.

Batya said...

You're invited here as usual!

Leora said...

I once posted on this, raw vs. cooked. I think you are right, better to do the cooked. Lightly cooked, so the nutrients don't disappear.

tnspr, we ate artichokes growing up. We once gave an artichoke to a friend who had never eaten one and challenged him to figure out how (we had to tell him).

I rarely make them now because my kids don't care for them. Maybe I'll try again in a few years.

Batya said...

Leora, I don't overcook, which shouldn't surprise you. I had neither seen nor heard of artichokes, or avocado, before living in Israel.

Anonymous said...

I see plenty of avocados, but not many people I know enjoy them. My problem is that I'm only one person, and no matter which preservation method I employ, the avocados I purchase don't seem to last long enough for me to consume them over a reasonable period of time (maybe a week or so).

Here people tend to shy away from certain vegetables due to bugs, I think - people might feel that it's too time consuming or difficult to check for them.

I wish I could accept the offer for more Shiloh hospitality - in the future, G-d willing!

Batya said...

Of course, avocados are good with artichoke. You can make avocado sandwiches.

and you're always invited, just let me know when