Sunday, February 08, 2009

Coffee Cents



According to Consumer Reports, it doesn't make sense to buy the expensive, name-brand coffees, like Starbucks. The most inexpensive, at $5.99, I saw last summer, in the supermarket, Eight O'Clock did better in the taste tests.


Unless you're totally desperate and jetlagged, like I was during a recent visit to New York, the biggest rip-off is buying a cup of coffee "out."

You can get lots more coffee for your buck, shekel, lira, pound, peso etc, if you make it at home or in the office. Here in Israel, I can get an entire package of ground coffee for less than the price of two cups from a coffee shop.
It's hard to believe that I went for years without drinking coffee...

6 comments:

rickismom said...

When I was a teen I couldn't stand coffee. Now I love it.....

Batya said...

I don't remember when I started with coffee drinking, but opening the old instant jars had the greatest smell. Maybe they made it stronger in those days and not to last for years.

Anonymous said...

i got some Eight O Clock coffee from Albertsons for 4.99 from Albertsons the other day, FTW

Batya said...

Wow! That's much better than the $5.99 I saw in Associated last summer. I'm pretty happy with my Israeli Turkish, but the 8 o'clock flavored are great deals.

swag said...

LOL. You used "Consumer Reports" and "taste tests" in the same paragraph.

Consumer Reports is great for telling you what good vacuum to buy. But they're notoriously horrendous at subjective matters of taste.

Unless maybe you plan to eat the vacuum cleaner....

Batya said...

Swag, do you mean that the vacuum cleaners did the judging?

Seriously, I tried Starbucks a couple of times and couldn't figure out why it's so popular. I like the prices at 8 o clock.