Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's Not The Season For Goat's Milk

I don't know what cures are used where you live, but in my part of the world, Shiloh, Efrayim-Benjamin, Israel, when someone has fungus-like sores in their mouth, the popular cure is "straight from the udder" goat's milk.

There are all sorts of first-person stories of those who enjoyed sudden relief and quick cures after drinking fresh, warm goat's milk. All of the early stories told of the milk being squirted straight into the affected mouth. Apparently, some goats became infected, and now the owners insist that the goats be milked normally, and the fresh milk be drunk from a cup.

My younger granddaughter suffered one of those infections, after taking antibiotics, and I tried to help them find some goats. Goats aren't as common as dogs, but I have two neighbors with goats. Unfortunately, none of the goats were "with milk." It's the wrong season.

My son-in-law made numerous phone calls all around the area, until he finally found people with milk-laden goats. A friend picked up some fresh milk on the way home, and my granddaughter drank it. The next day, after a couple of days not being able to talk and eat, she was fine. She was back to talking, singing, dancing etc, thank G-d.

3 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Coincidentally, I also have a goat-related post on my blog today...

Leora said...

Sounds related to the raw milk enthusiasts in the U.S. who say pasteurization destroys the healing properties.

So glad it worked for your granddaughter! How marvelous.

Batya said...

Mrs. S, G-d willing I'll take a look at it soon...

Leora, I have no doubt that the high heat destroys valuable things in milk, not only possible bacteria. I remember when the date of the milk was 3-4 days from purchase. Now it's over a week. I can't believe it's really unadulterated. I trust fresh raw milk more than the commercial raw milk.

But even worse is the homogenization, which changes the fats, so that they don't clump/rise to the top. Experts say that they now stick better to our blood vessels.