Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Could My Coffeemaker Be Suffering From Hardening of the Arteries?

Recently, it has been taking much longer for my morning coffee to "filter." I wanted to say "perc," but it's not a percolator. I guess I'm showing my age via my vocabulary.

Israel has very hard water, no, not frozen hard, filled with minerals. Kettles usually get that white mineral coating, so I'm wondering if something like that could be happening to my coffeemaker. If that's the case, is there any safe way of "clearing it?"

Thanks for your ideas. Please pass this post/link around to any food lists or blogs or sites. I'd hate to dump a perfectly sound appliance, just because it's aging.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Batya,
My husband periodically boils vinegar through the coffee machine. It's not new, was brought used from the U.S. over 5 years ago and is working quite nicely on a transformer.
You may be able to save it by running vinegar thru it a few times.
Also, we only used filtered water for making the coffee. Not sure if that makes a diff or not.
Tsipi (tsipiamiri@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am suggesting vinegar, also, and have used it successfully, myself.

Batya said...

Thanks, I tried it diluted, since I didn't have much in the house, and then I ran through another batch with clean water.

Anonymous said...

Diluting it isn't a problem, and hopefully it will have worked for you.

Batya said...

G-d willing, tomorrow will be the test.
Thanks!