Thursday, December 25, 2008

Feasting and Dieting Can Go Together

I posted some Chanukah pictures taken in Shiloh and at our Chanukah Party on Shiloh Musings. I'm also enjoying that I can comment and blog on my blogs without signing in and out constantly. Maybe the time has come for a new picture, the same for both blogs...

There's something very interesting going on, now that I'm on the Start Fresh kosher diet. The more I can eat, the less I crave the food. Also, my body/appetite seems more attuned to my activity level. Today, because of the blessing of rain, I didn't really get out. I just walked to a neighbor to weigh myself, and yes, Baruch Hashem, thank G-d, another bit of excess weight has disappeared.

One of the most important things in my kitchen is my covered frying pan. I do a lot of cooking in it, and because the handle fell off a number of years ago, I can also use it in the oven. Yesterday, I made myself a tofu dish. It was very simple:

  • onion
  • carrot
  • tofu
  • fennel
  • tomato
  • olive oil
  • tamari sauce
  • dark miso

Cut everything up, and place the tofu and vegetables in the pan, with the tomato on top, and of course the oil. Cook on a low flame. When it's almost done or getting dry, add the tamari sauce, to taste, and then just before turning off the flame, add the miso.



tofu


Let it "sit" a bit still covered. Then eat it with a salad. Yes, you may add all sorts of other vegetables, too.

Here's the food my kids served me on Chanukah. Yes, it was a very thick vegetable soup, a couple of days' worth of carbs, but OK, no potatoes in my bowl.



Vegetable soup


And they also "fried" a special batch of latkes for me in a teflon pan, with minimal oil. These latkes were great, with all sorts of shredded orange vegetables and basil and parsley.



Low fat latkes


I guess the kids really want me to lose weight!

No comments: