Monday, December 22, 2008

Eating Well, Though Dieting

This is the first day of Chanukah, and I haven't been tempted by the sufganiyot. I can't say that I'll stay immune to them the entire holiday, especially as my daughter informed me that we'll be making some for the kids. Sufganiyot are like jelly donuts. The "classic" and less expensive ones are, but nowadays, they're filled with an unlimited variety of calorie rich forbiddens. So, even if you make them at home, as healthy as possible, you're still talking about deep-fried dough.

For almost two weeks now, I've been keeping a public diet diary, since I'm on the Start Fresh kosher diet. I may not be the strictest dieter they have, since so far, I've refused to weigh my food.

As you can see, I do eat well.


The vast, vast majority of the foods I eat are from the unlimited salads and vegetables. That's why my plates look so full. Psychologically, it makes all the difference, at least for me.


Last night we were at an event at the Menachen Begin Heritage Center, and I had no problem finding vegetables to eat. Actually, I brought dinner along with me and ate it at my husband's office. I took a cucumber, red pepper, a slice of avocado and some cottage cheese. I really didn't need to eat any more, but I couldn't resist the vegetables and as a consequence was so stuffed that I couldn't even look at the cakes and sufganiyot. I may have over-done the fat, because of oil they used in cooking, but I had no carbohydrates, even the sweet potatoes.


Over the years I usually find that the sufganiyot aren't worth eating. Except for my homemade ones, they're always disappointing, but I never feel that way about the potato latkes...

No comments: