Sunday, December 14, 2008

Controling Food and/or Predicting Meals

I've always done best when eating very "routinely," but my present life is harder to predict. Every day is different. On the diet I'm doing, I have to plan, so I'm trying to be pretty general, just worrying about the restricted foods. If I'm allowed unlimited "undressed" salads and vegetables, then does it really matter if I eat differently from what I "clicked" on the computer?

One reason I've avoided dieting for years is that I don't want to obsess about food. I'll see what the Start Fresh customer service says about this. There have already been days, like Friday, when I didn't eat the planned snacks. There just wasn't enough time. In general I have trouble with the snacks, the latest dieting wisdom on most diets, which requires eating every 2-3 hours to prevent low blood sugar and hunger. I understand it and agree with it, but it doesn't usually fit my routine. I like it when I suddenly find myself hungry. Then I know that I can eat and should.

On with my day...

2 comments:

A Soldier's Mother said...

My biggest problem is that preparation time it takes for most healthy foods. Salads need to be fresh and so can only be made a limited time before you eat them - certainly not days ahead. Even tossed veggies only last a short time - that's great because it means they are fresh...and that's terrible because it means, exactly as you say, I have to plan ahead. I never find the time to do this for myself and so...yes, I need a diet that meets my life right now (or I need enough money to hire someone whose sole job is to make me food).

I know the time will come when my kids are older and more independent, when I'll have that time...or at least I think it will come. For now, between business and kids and "stuff"...it's always the wrong things that are easy and available. It's a challenge I have yet to conquer...predicting a meal? Only only on shabbat, when the meals are planned a day in advance - salads, veggies, etc. Otherwise, the rest of the week is the grab and stuff method...I'll chop a cucumber for my daughter's lunch, but never remember for me. I'll cut and quarter oranges for my kids...and never think to do another for me. Total lack of planning...for sure.

Batya said...

I hear this from so many friends. Since I was raised eating lots of salad and vegetables, I can't survive without.

It's priorities. You don't have to make pretty salads. You can eat a cucumber like a cookie. Grab it and take bites. The same for peppers, and they're so sweet. Eat tangy cheese between two leaves of lettuce. Cook frozen vegetables. Thow them into food that's almost finished cooking.