Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Chanukah Present and JBlog Visits

When I saw Leora's "caption this" post, I knew that I had to post this "mural," by three young artists. As you can see, the Jewish art world has a future!


Last week, I took the grandkids to a fun bazaar where the kids did lots of great arts and crafts, but my jacket and trusty pouch, especially the pouch, will never be the same. My kids find my "carrying it all on my waist," and I'm not referring to fat, terribly embarrassing, so I knew that I'd have to replace the pouch with something clean.


Yesterday, when my daughter returned home to her kids, whom I'd been caring for, she brought me a present. I've now exchanged my "Steve's Packs" for a "Modan." There are some big differences in the design. Simply put, the "Steve's" is more masculine and functional, while "Modan" is more clever and feminine. Today I have to transfer all my stuff.
Baila impressed me with the books she's reading. I read lots of junk, mysteries, detectives etc. I try not to buy anything, except for my annual "bag of books" at 50 cents each from the Great Neck Public Library every summer. My daughter #1 passes me her books, for reading and storage, like the full Michael Connelly collection. Yes, highly recommended. I also borrow from neighbors. Not long ago, I read "Family Matters," (sorry I don't remember author etc) which was good. Now the same friend lent me "The Link," by Nachman Seltzer. I'm still reading it. On rare occasions, I've been given Jewish books for free to review on my blogs.
And last, but not least, as part of MAZAL TOV to Hadassah, who's soon to marry again, I super-highly recommend that you read her post about the mikvah.
Chag Urim Same'ach
Have an Enlightened Chanukah

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chanukah presents are great! I won a prize in our school's annual dreidel contest - chanukah gelt, of sorts, in the form of a gift certificate to one of the local Jewish bookstores :) Apparently G-d decided to make tonight a bit more exciting than usual - with a two-hour-long dreidel contest! Considering that I lost very early on in last year's contest, I guess this makes up for that experience...

Leora said...

Thanks for the link to my daughter's artsy creation. You are right, she's not all that good at counting yet.

I just don't like the age when the teachers poo poo any drawings the kids do in school. My son is in sixth grade, when they are no longer offered art in school, and one teacher already criticized his drawing too much. Sigh.

I like your old pouch. I would wear it, stains and all. But I'm sure my kids would find it embarrassing, too.

Batya said...

t, sounds great. It's really special when the prize is what you want.

My sister and a cousin are both school art teachers. I should hope they'd be more supportive than your son's. I was always told that I wasn't "artistic" because my drawings were ugly. Only in recent years have my photos been recognized as "art."

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

o, wow, really great creations your children made, are they hung up with stickers?

I remember one person who wore that kinda pouch. I haven't seen many others wear it, but I can imagine it being convenient. It's because skirts don't have pants pockets. For me it's easy for them to carry stuff, by ladies you always need a purse and it can get annoying. I had bought myself a cell holder and mp3 holder that go on my arm, so that I can be free and have my stuff on me. Works great for when I go rollerblading, although it may look a little strange.

about the art criticism. reminds me of the whole coloring in the lines dilemma, about whether to correct them, or let them be creative and color outside the lines.

Batya said...

A few years ago I damaged my shoulders/neck carrying bags. The pouches are so safe.

Yes, the pictures are up with stickers, which didn't seem to damage the painting. It's a very child-friendly house. The kids love to do arts and crafts and play dress-up.