Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Reflections on Rosh Hashannah Food

I remember the days when we'd have a dozen or more around our table on Rosh Hashannah. That wasn't all that difficult when our five kids were home. But this year we were alone, just my husband and I.

We ended eating three out of four meals out. The big advantage is no dishes to wash. And the biggest advantage is lots of great company! And all the hosts are great cooks, certainly more adventurous than I am.

I brought some food to two of the meals and we also gave our hosts wine. The first meal was fun combining all sorts of customs and "simmanim," the food items used for good wishes by way of "punning."

The second meal was a quiet and boring one at home; boring because I'm a boring cook, very simple. My one innovation was using wine in the tsimmis.
Tsimmis in Wine Sauce--Classic With A Twist
  • carrots
  • sweet potatoes
  • prunes
  • brown sugar
  • cinnamon
  • ginger
  • red wine--I used some we didn't want to drink

Cut the vegetables into bite-sized pieces and put in a pot, sprinkle with sugar and spices, add wine and some water to cover. Cook covered on a low heat until soft.


Third meal, second night, we had a lovely fish meal and great dessert.

And the fourth meal, second lunch was the most interesting, cheese fondue as a first course, and then fish and salads and some other interesting things. There were lots of other guests. Our hosts brought their table into the livingroom, so we could all have room, and the meal was leisurely and fun.

Our synagogue's custom is to have a kiddush break before shofar blowing. Next year, I hope to remember to have some crackers, spreads and salad instead of just coffee and cake.

2 comments:

Pesky Settler said...

Have I missed the deadline for JPix?

Batya said...

No, darling, just mail it, please.