Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Playing With YouTube

After two years of owning my Cannon A620, I've finally begun using its video, the moving picture option. You can see one of my movies here. It's nothing very profound, just a busy Jerusalem street scene.

In terms of "art," it will never replace stills. Whenever my eyes wander, I find myself "composing" pictures, on what to focus etc. Movies, video--that's something else.

Photos, especially black and white, last forever, decades, a century. In our digital world, most of our pictures and movies are virtual, not real. You can't touch them. Nobody is going to put a cd or memory chip under their pillow or in their wallet.

Many people report that photos they've stored in various internet "services" have disappeared. Periodically, I print some important ones. If I can't hang the picture on the wall, make an album or look at them on Shabbat and Jewish Holidays, when it's forbidden to use electrical gadgets, what's the point? There's no reality in their existence.

Today the sky is pale grey, not photogenic at all. It may be a washout for all of the Succot plans. There's rain "in the air," at least the odor of those early winter, dust-cleaning rains. If there's something worth filming, and I succeed, I'll youtube.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try making custom photo books online, as well as putting some of your photos into a digital picture frame.

Batya said...

The photobooks are tempting, but I still have old photo albums to fill. When they're full...
And I guess if I wait just a bit longer the digital frames should get cheaper, but what about Shabbat?

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the frames and Shabbat. I had heard that there wasn't a problem, but I really haven't looked into it. If I remember, I can try to investigate a bit, since we'd like to purchase one, as well.

I have my eye on other toys, too.

Batya said...

Please check it out. I presume that a digital frame, hung on the wall, which isn't touched and just has "slideshow," would be ok, but how long do those batteries last? I still like "real" albums and printed pictures on the walls.

Check out all my little movies, like here. And I'll be, G-d willing, posting a few more on this blog. It just takes ages to upload.