Friday, October 03, 2008

Not My Usual Friday & Reminisces

We're off to a funeral, yes, Harry's.

Since it's the last long Friday of the year, daylight savings ends Saturday night, I hope to be able to cook the side dishes for Shabbat when we return.

Yesterday was Tzom Gedalia. As usual I had a lazy day. Before the fast ended, I made my super-simple-one pot vegetable soup. Then I had some colored noodles with a dab of "concentrated" sesame paste, but my husband, who had a tough day at work, ate a nice portion of chicken and vegetables.

Afterwards I took a walk and met up with another walker. We reminisced about our old neighborhood, Bayit V'Gan, Jerusalem. She grew up there and we lived there for almost ten years, before moving to Shiloh. Last night we discussed the 1973 Yom Kippur War and Shaare Tzedek Hospital.

We started that conversation when talking about succot sizes. I reminded her of the super, tiny succot in many apartments. In many buildings the merpesot (terraces) are "staggered" to give everyone a minimal amount of uncovered merpeset for a kosher succah. In some cases the "minimum" is more like a "doll house," or those "model succot" kids make for school fairs and competitions. Being home-owners here in Shiloh is so much better.

I have lots to do...

No comments: