Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Multitasking Mothers

This is crossposted on Shiloh Musings.

Like
Sarah Palin, I'm also the mother of five, though my kids are grown. My kids' age gap is large enough that I could accurately describe it as having to simultaneously deal with teething and orthodonture work.

The American media is full of
articles debating the wisdom of a mother of such young children performing competently as both US Vice President and mother. People who don't have children, or just have one or very few with many years in between think that large families must be many more times difficult than having one. But it's not so, not at all.

Even though I'm glad I never had to, my maternal grandmother was in the kitchen making dinner soon after giving birth to each of her first five children. Since there is no law requiring a paid maternity leave in the United States, it's actually very common for women to be back at work within a week of giving birth.

Children love companionship and thrive on responsibility. Siblings are friends, and caring for siblings is the natural way of developing a sense of responsibility.

Yes, campaigning is hectic and physically stressful, but then once the election is over, most United States Vice Presidents have admitted that it's the easiest job they've ever had.

2 comments:

Leora said...

Thanks for your perspective! It seems to me that women that like mommying really do well for their kids, whether they have 1 or 8. And women that find it draining and difficult find it so with 1, and with 8...they really shouldn't have gone that far.

Batya said...

Funny thing is that I have no idea what her politics are, but the VP has no power, unless...