Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Water-Proof Watch Bluff

A couple of years ago, I bought myself a new watch, light-weight, comfortable and waterproof, a Speedo.

Yesterday, a few months after having its battery changed, I noticed some condensation on the inside of the glass. Luckily I was on my way to Jerusalem and had time to go to the watchmaker who had replaced the battery. I had purposely had it done at a professional watchmaker, afraid that someone less knowledgeable would damage its sealing.

I didn't expect the watchmaker to remember me, but I did introduce myself by telling him that he had replaced the battery.

When I told him about the condensation, which had dried up by then, his reaction was clear:
"There is no such thing as a waterproof watch. Don't wear it in the water."
"But it's Speedo; it was labeled waterproof."
"They can label it however they want, but they can't guarantee that it will always be waterproof. After a year or two the rubber sealing dries out."
When I mentioned it to a friend, she told me that once the battery is replaced she doesn't consider a watch waterproof. It makes sense and now I'll have to remember to take my watch off before swimming and bathing.

No comments: