Thursday, July 31, 2008

Trying to Catch Up

I missed three weeks of the pool when I went to New York. Since my return, I've gone for at least a few minutes every time it was open, even at night.

Last night was the best night swimming ever. The air was warm and there wasn't the usual chill. Generally the air is so much colder than the water, it's hard to keep one's head out, shoulders out are torture.

There are lots of young married, and not yet married, women going regularly to the pool during the 18-up only hour each day. It used to be so empty. Also, it now closes 9pm, instead of 9:30 or even 10pm in previous years. Management saves money on salaries, and I don't think too many people would want to be swimming until 10; though on a night like last night, maybe there would be a few until 9:30.

Since I'm rather "under-occupied" as of late, I show up just after 8am each morning it's for women. That leaves me today and tomorrow, and then it's the month of Av, when swimming for pleasure is forbidden until the afternoon of the 10th.

Maybe I'm crazy to have taken membership, considering that 3 + 1 weeks of the 12 week season I can't swim, but at least I'm getting to the pool as often as possible.

4 comments:

Leora said...

Maybe I'm crazy to have taken membership
Hardly. You sound like you enjoy every minute of it! (I'm jealous; we lost our local pool, and we haven't joined another, because I hate the idea of driving in New Jersey traffic to go for a swim). Keep enjoying. Something to look forward to on 10th of Av.

Batya said...

Yes, that's so true.
And maybe you want to move to Shiloh. One doesn't have to suffer for Eretz Yisrael.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you. I wish I had a pool so near.

Batya said...

B"H, I'm lucky to be in Shiloh.