Tuesday, July 29, 2008

3 Meals? 5 Meals? 2 Meals?

I was raised in the three meals a day world.

Start the day with a good breakfast, then a medium lunch and a big supper. Snacks were fruit at most. For decades, that has been my day, even when I'm very busy.

Friends who've been sent to dietitians for weight-loss or "sugar problems" have been told to go for five smaller meals. It can get complicated making the time and reducing the large meals, in order not to over-eat.

Recently, with less to do and a later breakfast, I'm finding myself on two and then hungry before bedtime. Not good.

Also, last year's work schedule meant a too early lunch or none. I think that's what started throwing me off. And now on the days I go to the pool in the morning, I eat grapes off the vine after swimming, then shower and make breakfast, which is closer to lunch time, so mid-afternoon I'm hungry and don't know what to eat.

And my body hasn't gotten back on meal schedule since the NY trip. So, sleep-wise jetlag is over, but food is still a problem. It's hard when every day is different. I've always done best when I have a totally consistent routine.

Sorry to vent/kvetch/rant.

5 comments:

Leora said...

How about making sure you have lots of healthy snacks around? Prepare them when you're not hungry. I have raw almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds (don't be fooled into thinking you'll gain weight on nuts), fruit, veggies. If you can get used to eating veggies raw, they are very healthy that way and quick. Little prep work.

Love the grapes in the field idea. It's going to be at the top of the KCC. I'm working on a Tu B'Av theme.

Birds don't weigh much. Eat like a bird, often snacking.

Batya said...

I'm not a snacker, but when I do it means I haven't had good meals and I nosh too much. Walking out for some grapes is a good snack. I just need more to do.

Anonymous said...

Veggies with hummus make for a great snack, as do raisins and healthy nuts, fruits, etc. Whole wheat (home made) pita chips, with or without hummus, are also a good choice. It's true, though- the busier you are, the less time you have to nosh!

The Five + of Us said...

I think it comes down to this:

It's in the house, I eat it.

It's not in the house, I can't eat it.

(Yes, I will run to a neighbor for a cup of flour, but i would never run to a neighbor at 10 at night for a bag of corn chips).

Between meals: LIttle protein snacks, like Leora's idea, as well as eggs or tofu, which can be prepared all different ways, and in flexible quantities.

ALN

Batya said...

t, nad, thanks
I didn't realize that most people nosh, or so it seems.
Today, I blogged about it, so I made an effort to get my 3 meals in, plus the post-swim grapes and a couple of fresh figs from my neighbor's garden during T'hilim and a couple of more grapes after going to the grocers. And now veggies and fish are cooking. Only my lunch had real carbs. I don't count the fruit and cooked veggies.

Thanks for the support.