Friday, June 13, 2008

Reduce the Meat--Reduce the Pain

OK, I admit; it could have been coincidence. But since I've cut back on meat/poultry my knees are better. They are neither swollen nor painful. I don't have the flexibility of my youth, but I'm not a kid anymore. Things had gotten so bad I couldn't dance at weddings without paying a painfully heavy price.

Keeping the Jewish Laws of Kashrut means that I don't have meat/poultry at more than one meal a day, since I can't eat those things with dairy, and I can't have dairy for a number of hours after eating them.


The article which accompanies this gorgeous picture give ideas on how to reduce meat portions. I find it difficult to eat just a tiny bit of meat during a meal. If it's a meat meal, I take what is my general portion. I fill my plate with salad, cooked vegetables and meat/poultry. Then I eat the salad and veggies, and only afterwards do I eat the meat. And if I think I'm still hungry, I take seconds of the salad and veggies.
For me it's easier to "cut back" by having meatless days. On those days I'll have fish, dairy, eggs, soy, but no beef or poultry. I also don't serve fish as a first course for a meat meal. I prefer one course meals or salad first meals.
Now, if I could only figure out a painless way of losing weight...

2 comments:

Leora said...

I find keeping kosher helps me eat less dairy. Which seems to disagree with my body.

You might find that sugar, as well, can cause joint pain. On the meat:
"Meat is high in a specific fatty acid (arachidonic acid) that is believed to promote inflammation in the body." This comes from this article Vegan Diet Improves Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms

Batya said...

Most people shouldn't eat dairy, or certainly should eat a lot less. the signs of "allergies" or "intolernace" aren't always recognized.

My 25 years as a vegetarian came to an end when I was under a lot of stress.