Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Nothing Like Old Friends

My traveling, or should I be honest and call it waiting or time-wasting, to and from work is getting me down. It saps my energy, patience and enthusiasm.

Today as I approached the bus/waiting stop all I could see were lots of others waiting. And we waited and waited. Very few rides and none to my area at all.

Finally a car approached, barely slowed down and signalled north. I jumped into the street to catch their attention. Even if there wouldn't be room for me, at least I'd be closer to being first.

All of a sudden, the woman in the front passenger seat lifted her head and looked at me... yes, obviously, they were close friends. And so, I had a place regardless of who was first on line and I called over a neighbor's kid, since my friends knew his parents. The driver has the right to choose his/her passengers.

Thank G-d for friends.

4 comments:

Leora said...

Your writing is a little ambiguous:
obviously, they were close friends

Do you mean "we were close friends"?

The basic idea, that you got a ride you badly needed when you saw a friend, is a nice one. On the other hand, what about the poor shmendrik that has a hard time making friends? Does he never get a ride? (you don't have to answer, but I think that way sometimes--wondering about the others at the bus stop).

Batya said...

Not clear? I'll try to clarify.

OK, the irony of it. Just when I was feeling so down. The people in the front seat, were very close friends, I've known almost 40 years. They don't live in Beit El. One of their daughters does. And they weren't going home to Jerusalem. They were going to visit another child, which meant they'd be passing Shiloh.

I was the oldest one waitng for a ride by at least 30 years, meaning over 30 years older than anyone else. Drivers have the right to choose their passengers.

G-d is great! Even though I guess that sometimes my writing isn't.

Leora said...

It was fine, Batya, just the word "they" confused me.

Glad you got a ride! Sorry this is such a daily problem for you.

Batya said...

just work days
otherwise I manage
I just don't have the patience to stand our and wait for rides any more.