Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Finally, The Truth About Boiled Egg Shells, How To Get Clean Eggs

I never used to have a problem getting the shells off the boiled eggs until a few years ago. I just didn't put "things" together.

I remember learning that I had to quickly cool the eggs and shells would come off easily, but suddenly, nothing was working right. My family kept mumbling and grumbling.

Then, two things happened:
1- This year when getting the food cooked for the Passover Seder, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the eggs I had boiled at my son's place peeled easily and cleanly. How was it that I suddenly did something right?
2- I forgot to tell my husband to buy more eggs, so he went to the neighbor who has an organic egg business. They ended up having to go down and collect them, still warm.

Now, what do you think Yona--the guy with the organic egg business-- warned my husband?
"Don't boil them today. The shells won't come off.
They are too fresh. You need older eggs for boiling,
not these, at least for a good few days."
Oops! Now I understand. The shells started sticking when I began buying the fresh organic eggs. The eggs I bought in Jerusalem were from the big companies. They always keep a large stock, so they're not as fresh, not at all.
It's like those good news/bad news stories.
"The eggs aren't fresh, but don't worry. You can take the shells off easily!"

No comments: