Monday, May 05, 2008

Bloggin' Busy

Just because nothing new has been posted here for a good few hours doesn't mean that I haven't been blogging. I blogged plenty this morning on Shiloh Musings, and last night something else on The Eye of the Storm.

I also wrote out a two page "quiz" for my 10th grade class. Two pages may be a lot for a "quiz," but "tests" must be announced well in advance and posted on the official "test calendar." Quizzes can be "surprise" or "short notice." These are just reviews of what they were supposed to learn last week. "Supposed to" meaning that I taught it and hope they actually learned something. It's not that I was supposed to teach the material and didn't. It took a lot more time than I had planned for it. Considering that my approach is "remedial" I'm very flexible. Sometimes I have to go into certain "detail" about an aspect of English that the book takes for granted that they know. Of course, they don't know it. Also there are always problems in the books, when they use words and terms not so easily translated into Hebrew. It may be obvious for native English speakers, but not for Israelis learning English.

I didn't really plan to rant. Sorry.

Today's a busy day. It's also the first day of Rosh Chodesh Iyyar, meaning the first day of the Jewish month of Iyyar, the only month which is 100% in the "Omer," the period between Passover and Shavuot. Shavuot is a holiday I was totally unaware of until I became religious. But that's another story...

No comments: