Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bake Your Breakfast Omelet? Recipes, In General

I'm tempted to try the Crustless Quiche by Mark Bittman, a k a The Minimalist. The big question is, in what to bake it. He uses special "cups."

Now, you may have noticed that I haven't been posting recipes recently. I'll tell you a secret. I have a very minimal amount of recipes and lots and lots, an infinite amount of variations. That's the key.

I just cook what I have and what I'm in the mood for. Cooking shouldn't be all that complicated. I'm always amazed by people who think that every type of fish needs its own exclusive recipe. There are basic cooking methods, the oven, the big covered frying pan etc, spicy, savory, garlicky. Honestly, what's the big deal?

Depending on if I'm just cooking for myself, or more people, and depending on what's in the house, I "just cook." That's one of the reasons I can't give exact measurements. Eggs can be all different sizes, so sometimes two are enough and sometimes you'll need five for the same results. "Same results," rare, but who cares? Isn't every day different?

Enjoy cooking. Don't obsess.

7 comments:

Pesky Settler said...

Ceramic coffee mugs?

Leora said...

Corningware? Pyrex?

It's an art, what you do. Not everyone is comfortable with being flexible with ingredients. You could even teach someone to fry an egg, and there's someone out there who could use the information.

I like cooking when 1) I'm not pressed for time 2) I'm making one of my fun, pretty salad 3) I'm doing it casually with one of my kids.

I don't like cooking when I have to make dishes, like potato kugel, that my son will no longer eat the store-bought version, and then on Friday night he complains that it has too much matza meal. Or too much egg. (I told him he should make it himself, but with his busy schedule, do think that will happen?)

Batya said...

pesky, thanks for the idea

leora, coming to Israel as a young bride in 1970, I had to deal with totally different foods and cooking conditions from what I had known. I guess I'm lucky that it didn't throw me into panics all the time.

Leora said...

>in 1970
and there was no Blogger to throw out your problems on a post, and no Mother in Israel to create a community of other moms also panicking... how the world has changed.

Well, you can help the new, panicky moms.

Batya said...

Yes, I try. I'm willing. It's always easier to solve other people's problems....

Therese said...

This is a great blog:) there are some great recipes on here too http://buzz.prevention.com/tis-the-season-to-savor-peaches/

Batya said...

thanks
sounds interesting