Saturday, April 05, 2008

Deja Vu However You Spell It

Strange feeling this Shabbat in Shiloh. It was like I was on Bayit V'Gan Street, Jerusalem, about 28 years ago. Some of the kids looked the same as I had remembered. A couple of the girls are "regulars" in my Shiloh neighborhood, but some of the others I hadn't seen for close to thirty years, and that wasn't here.

No, I'm not going crazy, and I'm not in some parallel universe. It's simply that one of my neighbors now was a neighborhood kid then, and his daughters resemble his sisters. His wife confirmed it. At a local Shiloh school event, one of the mothers asked her if her little girls wasn't related to --, her sister-in-law. That woman also grew up in Bayit V'Gan. And this Shabbat, former Bayit V'Gan neighbors were here since their daughter married someone from Shiloh. A lot of their grandchildren look like their kids did way back when, and their kids look like they did as kids, just older.

It was a wonderful Shabbat, lots of joy, Baruch Hashem!

2 comments:

Fern Chasida said...

My cousins used to live on Bayit Vegan Street and I spent time with them one summer! They then moved though to Hapisga Street. You brought back memories.

Batya said...

I have no idea of how many years since you were there, but it was so nice when we lived there. I like those old neighborhoods, built building by building with lots of small stores.