Saturday, September 22, 2007

Update--No News

Yom Kippur is over here in Israel.
I called my daughter, and she's still pregnant. She relaxed all day and did fine.

Yes, when there's news, G-d willing good news, I'll post it.

It was very pleasant in our local synagogue. Of course, I have a nice seat, even considering the arctic blast on my shoulders from the air conditioner, but just think... In the winter, the heater will warm it up, really well, like the physical therapy I probably need.

As in most Israeli synagogues, the prayers are led by volunteers, amateurs, even if they've had some training. Yom Kippur isn't easy. The men who act as chazanim, cantors, are fasting just like everyone else. We had a nice variety for this chag, Holiday.

Just the highlights:

Kol Nidre was with a French Ashkenaz accent, soft, gentle voice.

Musaf was a show stopper! First of all, it is long and dramatic, definitely not easy even when not fasting. A young man, from a different neighborhood, came up to lead that prayer. He has a good voice, not the operatic professional cantor type, just good, enthusiastic and strong. Normally I don't like hand-clapping, but he was doing the clapping and sang much louder than the clapping. He was in control. Frequently people start clapping, but to a very different pace from the person leading the prayers, or a schizophrenic-syncopation matching nothing at all, which just makes me totally nuts. But in this case, it worked.

As usual we had to waste time, finishing Neila early. That prayer was led by one of the "younger" members of our shul. He did a good job, too.

From my vantage point, I really don't have any complaints.

Baruch Hashem, we're healthy, and G-d should just forgive us for our sins.

2 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

glad it all went well for you.

Batya said...

thanks
Hope you're ok.