Sunday, September 09, 2007

My "Sacrifice"


I did it for the "good of the community."

OK, what did I do? I changed my seat in the synagogue. It had been my "Makom Kavua," "regular spot" since even before we had proper seats. Actually, even before the building was built, I even sat in a very similar location in the temporary building.


It's a couple of rows back, but not all the way in the back, by the wall. I like the wall for two basic reasons.



  • One, I can lean against it, which is more comfortable than just standing.

  • Two, it's quiet and less distracting than having people on all sides of me.

I also like being in the third of five rows, since it's both close and far.


The problem with that seat was that the door faced it, and the drafts on my legs and neck were unbearable. Others claim that the Women's Section is stuffy. That may be so in some places but not where I sat. The air conditioner over my head sure kept that air moving and cold. In the winter it moved hot air. It was so chilly in my row that nobody wanted to sit near me. There couldn't be any other reason?!


But still, we had a meeting and the majority voted to keep a large window "all the way open" until it "snows" or rains, or until some of the ladies change their vote. My health, of course, isn't an issue. I'm a minority, since popular knowledge says that it's easier to warm yourself up than cool yourself down.


A lot of people told me to change my seat, so I offered to, as long as I could get one in the front row. I have to sit at the "edge," to reduce the people around me and the noise. Last night as the meeting ended, one of the male committee members spoke to me and in the middle he had a call from someone who didn't like her front row seat and wanted to change it. I got the seat. Now I have to move my scarf, shawl, siddur (prayer book), and T'hillim (Psalms book) from the box of my old seat to the box of my new one.


The main advantage of my new seat is that I'll be able to see what's going on in the men's section, and the big disadvantage is that if there's some special event, the celebrating family gets to sit in the front row.


But the most important thing is that my legs will be warmer. And I did it to show that I don't expect the world to revolve around me and my needs. Living and working with others means we have to compromise.


Shannah Tovah to All



Yes, the dawning of a new age...

6 comments:

Baleboosteh said...

As they say, 'a change is as good as a holiday'! Enjoy your new spot, sounds like it is a good one :)

Beautiful photo too.

Batya said...

I never heard that one, but there's a Hebrew saying:
Mishaneh makom, mishaneh mazal.
Change your place, change your luck.

So G-d willing, good things will come.

YMedad said...

Well, now your grandchildren will be able to see you more easily.

Batya said...

didn't think of that
Sounds great!

Mr Bagel said...

You know Muse in some society's they move the respected elders into prominent positions in the front as a sign of respect to these elders.

You must be getting old??

[chuckle...]
Mr Bagel

Batya said...

Honestly... I'm the second oldest of the active female members.
Yes, old I am.