Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Yesterday, what really happened

Yesterday was the first full day of classes in the yeshiva high school where I work. I had six lessons to teach, from 12:30 until 7:15 at night.

When I went to Beit El for a staff meeting last week, I saw that the entrance/exit of the yishuv was being fixed up.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Actually, yesterday I was here:




That's the Kupat Cholim Leumit, Leumit Sick Fund clinic in Shaar Binyamin, the "commercial center" just north of Jerusalem, the southern part of our local council. Since Friday, I was suffering from back pain and barely slept at all Sunday night.

One thing I've learned the hard way is that if I'm not at 100% strength, I can't control my students. The first day of class is crucial, especially a long full teaching day. Trying to show the kids "who's boss" when tired and in pain would be setting myself up for failure. That type of failure could influence the entire school year. And even worse, pushing myself when obviously sick with something could make me much sicker.

Besides the teaching, traveling to work is extremely difficult and stressful. There's no direct public transportation, so I end up hitchhiking, or tremping as we call it in Hebrew. Just thinking about it all was getting me nervous. I couldn't take the stress, and I couldn't hide the pain.

I checked with our local clinic, but the doctor would only be in during afternoon hours. Our local nurse suggested that I make an appointment in the Shaar Binyamin Clinic and even offered to take me, since she was taking her kids to the dentist there. Luckily there was an opening at just the right time.

Baruch Hashem, thank G-d, nothing serious is wrong, just a combination of a pulled muscle and stress. He told me to take two days off and relax, not to push myself, and I shouldn't wear all my pouches, pocketbooks on my waist. That means that I must use my "wagons," since the pouches are to protect my neck and shoulders.

If I don't feel better, then I have to come back for more comprehensive tests. Taking off from work is very traumatic for me. I've always dragged myself there no matter how awful I felt.

While waiting for my neighbor, I went into the giant Rami Levi Discount Supermarket and got a couple of things.


I planned, typed and emailed lessons for yesterday and today. G-d willing I'll go to work tomorrow.

I have to learn how not to push too hard. Last night, when it cooled down outside I took a walk. At first I felt better, then I realized that I was "dragging." A neighbor saw me:


"Why are you out? You're limping!"

It's hard to know when to stop.

Last night, woke up every hour or so, but after taking more Rescue and trying out different beds, and advantage of an "empty nest," I fell back to sleep for a bit. Today I rested by the pool, something I never do.

But, Baruch Hashem, I am feeling better.

3 comments:

wendy said...

I hope you are feeling even better today. Can you believe it's back to school time again?

Juggling Frogs said...

Refuah Shelaima, Batya! I hope you're feeling better today.

Batya said...

wendy, jf,
Thank you both. Thank G-d I'm feeling better. It was very traumatic for me to take time off from work, especially the first days of class.

I finally got back, and I'll blog about it tomorrow.