Monday, June 18, 2007

A night out

The other day a friend asked if I wanted to go to a dinner and show with her. It sounded like fun, so I agreed.

It was a benefit for Emunah Women.

After an unpleasant attempt at showing my students and the other two 10th grade classes a movie, I really did need some cheering up. Luckily my friend had discovered that mutual friends from Beit El would also be there, so I was able to arrange a ride for myself.

We had signed up for the dinner, and imagine my surprise when I sat down on the seat at the table my neighbor had saved for me and discovered that I have known most of our table-mates even longer than I know her!

The Stir-fried Chicken I ordered in the Khan's Limonim Restaurant was very tasty, and the conversation was fun, comparing family news with friends I've known so many decades.


The Khan is in an old Jerusalem building with a courtyard, very nice.


Finally we went in for the show, Yisrael Lutnick's "Jerusalem of Love." I had no idea what to expect. It was mostly a medley of songs, my kind of songs from Broadway, Gershwin and Naomi Shemer, tied together with some chat.


After the intermission, more songs. He introduced "Luck Be A Lady" with a story about gambling on horses at Saratoga. As he spoke I remembered that I had a Saratoga hat in my bag, which I had worn over my small hat to reduce sun exposure. I told the organizers who were sitting in front of me, and they agreed that I should throw it to him at the end of the song. I almost fell down on the low stairs when I did it, since I was concentrating on taking his picture at the same time. But, Baruch Hashem, no damage, and I got a picture, too. He returned the hat, though I offered to let him keep it. Of course he doesn't know how much racetrack stuff we have in the house.


One of the highlights of the show was the "Korach" song. How could he have known?


My friends dropped me off at the "trempiada" bus stop. The trip home didn't take toooo looong. It was late enough, and I just went straight to bed.


So, good morning.

No comments: