Friday, April 13, 2007

Unlike Katie Couric, I write my own material!

Recently it seems like everyone, every politician, celebrity and more are "blogging," writing chatty little essays on their publicity sites and in the newspapers under their smiling, professionally edited headshots.

For us real bloggers, blogging is our chance to muse "out loud" about our lives and opinions etc to an international audience. For me, it's my fantasy career in journalism.

Just like the vast, vast majority of people in public life have professional speech writers, now they also have staff-writers to write their "blogs," or "daily essays." Recently, Katie Couric got into trouble and had to admit that she doesn't write her "daily essays." “Katie Couric’s Notebook”—a daily essay's staff writer, "producer," got into hot water when it was discovered that an entry under Couric's name was much too similar to Wall Street Journal columnist Jeffrey Zaslow's recent column.

4 comments:

Dan Balsamo said...

Is this true? Well if it is, shame to her and to the rest of bloggers who claim that they write their own blog! Blogging is supposed to be original. It's supposed to be writing your own thoughts, ideas, beliefs, opinions and everything under the sun! I still believe most of the bloggers are original, or so that's what I want to think.

Mel Balsamo
JRomances.com

Batya said...

In order to keep her "good profesional name" they said that she had nothing to do with the writing, and it was a staff person and that the whole site is by a "committee" of paid staff members.

Lady-Light said...

I couldn't find any of your email addresses, so how can I let you know when I have a new post? And how do I contact you (as you asked me to) about teaching English in Israel?
This is frustrating!

Batya said...

shilohmuse at yahoo dot com