Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Pesach over, but not all away

The Passover Holiday may be over here in the Holy Land, but not everything in my house is back to normal. As can be expected when two "alte cockas" have to do everything without youthful assistance, the heavy stuff has yet to be lifted and lowered to the attic, and one kitchen closet was somehow skipped. I had to strain my knee to rescue a nice big mug last night. Tonight, when he gets back from work, he'll have to do that last closet, and we'll have to find help for the heavy attic stuff.

I still have to strip off and shrink the big diningroom table. Today's weather report predicts "showers," so I can't risk major laundry. It's a good thing I made plans to meet a friend. Sandstorms are not the season to hang out the wash, and the livingroom is already filling with clotheslines.

At this early hour of the morning, the sky is blue, clear, cloudless blue. Should I or shouldn't I hang out the wash?

We checked the calendar, and next year the seder will be Saturday night, my favorite. It's all a matter of getting everything done in advance, enjoying Shabbat, eating the challot or pittot (a favorite, here in Israel) outside and the meal all kosher for Passover inside, and then being nice and rested for the post-Shabbat seder.

I'll be posting another "spring flowers-plus" collection of pictures soon. So, stay tuned!

6 comments:

mother in israel said...

Saturday night seder means three-day Rosh Hashana. Pretty soon though we are going to go 20-plus years without either one.

Batya said...

Oooh, I didn't realize what a price we'll pay, but it's worth it. We need the same basic technique; cook in advance and freeze. At least for R"H we use ordinary pots and pans.

mother in israel said...

I think my calculation was wrong. RH will fall on Thursdays but not on Tuesdays during that period.

Batya said...

I just checked, and you're right. It's Thurs, Friday and Shabbat's the third day. Let's just remember to cook early and freeze it! Just the thing for a slow, summer's day.
We'll have to find some good fish recipes to vary with the meat.

mother in israel said...

This is getting confusing. I know RH is on Thursday this fall. RH always falls two days in the week later than the first day of Pesach. I just got mixed up when I said that RH won't fall on Thursday for a period of twenty some years, starting a few years from now. It won't fall on Tuesday, and Pesach won't fall on Sunday.

Batya said...

ok
good points
The Jewish calendar is amazing.