Saturday, February 24, 2007

Yes, we had visitors!


Yes, we did, and I even took them to a Hebrew-language shiur by Rachel Ehrlich, who is in charge of Development and Tourism of Tel Shiloh. The famous blogger tnspr569 understood it well. He wants to know Hebrew and makes an effort. I hope he blogs about the issue. He and his friend both admitted that Hebrew is not a required subjects in the yeshivot.
Now I can also tell you what I cooked.
Well, I needed to empty the freezer and still do. There were two things I don't normally use. Turkey necks and chicken schnitzel.
I used the turkey necks in the chulent with potatoes, beans and barley, plus spices. Very easy to make and no exact ingredients. Remember to use a lot of water. The ingredients shouldn't go more than 2/3 or max 3/4 the pot. Then add as much water as you can. Before Shabbat there may be a need to add more, so check early enough so you have time for it to boil.
Besides the chicken schnitzels, actually just expensive chicken breasts, I had lasagna noodles, so I made chicken lasagna! I bet you have never heard of it. Well, until I made invented it, I hadn't either.
  • line the pan with a layer of the noodles
  • a layer of sliced vegetables; I used eggplant
  • layer the chicken
  • then sliced onions
  • pour lots of diluted tomato sauce on it, but leave some over
  • and top it with another layer of noodles
  • pour the rest of the sauce and some water

You're better off with more liquid than less, so if in doubt, don't be stingy. Cover with foil and then bake until ready. What's ready? When the noodles are soft and the food seems cooked inside.

I'm glad the boys had volunteered to eat our food.

ps They started off Friday afternoon with lunch, Matzah Brei! We have to finish the matzah before Purim!

No comments: