Wednesday, January 03, 2007

From a different perspective

It's funny. Whenever I leave my house for a "walk" I turn left. I think it started during my jogging days well over twenty years ago. My neighborhood is perfect for fitness walks, running and jogging, since it's circular and pretty level. To get up to our neighborhood you have to climb, but once you're here, you're at the top and can enjoy the view. The extended circle (including the newer part of the neighborhood) is over a kilometer, probably just under a mile.

For some peculiar reason, yesterday morning when I left I turned right. Suddenly it all looked so different. I hadn't seen it from this angle before.




Twenty-five years, and it was like a new neighborhood. Some gardens were suddenly open for viewing and others were totally closed, while from the other side, it's the opposite. There's something very refreshing about seeing a familiar place from a different perspective.


Shiloh has a strange climate. I couldn't get over how the date palm tree, which needs a warm desert climate can grow side by side with a pine tree, which thrives in the north. They're common in New York, where palm trees don't grow. It's rather symbolic of my neighbors a real international mix of great people.

The thing that caught me totally unaware was my image in a window as I took pictures.

I must do this more often.



4 comments:

Baleboosteh said...

Over twenty years of going the same direction... you are a creature of habit Batya :D

It must have been very interesting seeing it all from a different direction!

Batya said...

Funny, I never thought of myself in that way, since I've made so many changes in my life.
Yes, interesting it was!

Anonymous said...

shalom muse...i loved this post...i love that you go out and walk...where i live it's hilly so i walk in the center of town...i love that you changed your direction...well aren't you brave???...and i loved your picture in the window...how wonderful...a sweet safe day to you my friend

Batya said...

Hills are healthy.
I also walk in town. yesterday I was in jm and walked from Geula to near King George and then to the "CBS."
I'm tempted to try that picture instead of the "fancy headshot." but I'm afraid it just won't do well so small.