Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My mother doesn't use speed-dial

One of the reasons I teach remedial groups is that there are less students, and it would take me till well past the first report card to match names to faces to classes. I've long lost the ability to memorize. I have no idea when it happened, but if I'm given a list of anything my mind just goes blank.

Of course my cellphone is full of numbers, and I scroll through to make calls. If I need the land line, then I check the number on the cell phone. Other numbers are safe (I hope so) in our cordless phone. I taught myself how to enter numbers and retrieve them. It's easy to do by following the instructions on the phone. That's how I got the ring to sound like chimes. It's better than the siren-like sound my son programmed in.

My mother doesn't use speed-dial; she says that by forcing herself to memorize numbers, she's keeping her brain sharp. At 81, she's responsible for a more complicated life than mine, since she's responsible for both herself and my father. Every day and week have different appointments for them, not like my boring routine. That fits this editorial in the NY Times. It's nice to find something in that newspaper with which I can agree.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not use speed dial either. My wife always asks me how I remember phone numbers and my response is when I have to type a number in to the phone a couple of times, I remember it. She never remembers numbers and is always looking up numbers of people she calls on a regular basis

Anonymous said...

Smart move, just today I forgot my cellphone at home and I can't get in touch with anyone.

Batya said...

At least I still calculate on paper with my head, instead of using electric ones.