Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I wonder...

I wonder how many calories that delicious meal I ate today had. My friend and I ate at the new meat restaurant in the hitech industrial zone, Har Chotzvim, in Jerusalem. There was no dessert in the business lunch, and we shared the pitah, declining a second, which could have led to a third... We also drank water instead of the juices they offered.

Why am I mentioning calories, not because we care--ha! ha! It's because in the new, healthier New York, fast food restaurants have to post the calorie count of the various foods on the menu. That's sure one way to lose your appetite. Ignorance is bliss, especially yesterday as I noshed on a couple of pieces of baklava at the brit millah I went to. Just reading the recipe can cause you to gain weight!

Another part of the law is the elimination trans-fats in restaurant foods. That will prove complicated, since it's in a lot of the prepared foods. The entire industry will have to make changes. The banned canned prepared stuff will just be donated to poor countries along with the infant formula, which has caused epidemic malnutrition in third world countries, but that's another story...

No comments: