Tuesday, June 13, 2006

slight emergency

I wrote "slight," since it wasn't a person, but it was very upsetting, nevertheless. I had to call emergency services, since my computer didn't go on when I pressed the start button this morning.

I had been sitting on the comfortable office chair since 5:45am, after placing the percolator, filled with water and strong Turkish coffee on the stove. With a large mug of water in my hand, I had staggered into the den and then in total shock, took it in. Nothing! The screen showed absolutely nothing! I tried every trick I knew, and the screen was still black, though "number lock" was lit on my keyboard, so I knew that something was still alive.

It was too early to call the "maiven." It's not like he's a doctor saving lives, but... I was in pain, severe withdrawal, I needed my blog fix. Oy.

On the way to the pool, just before 8 I left him a message, and then I really got nervous. I was sure his daughter had said something about his traveling abroad. I was able to stay busy in the pool, distracting myself a bit. I couldn't have been very successful, since I kept telling everyone that my computer was sick.

Luckily when I finished my "swim" I saw a message from him on the cell phone. I called back immediately, didn't even bother listening to the message. He suggested taking out the plug and having a slow cup of coffee. I pulled out the plug and took a long shower. It revived only slightly, strange movements on the mostly black screen. I called him again and he said tha the'd try to pay a house call.

He did while I was at work and somehow the screen and computer came back to life. So here I am. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when your don't have your computer that is an emergency!!!!
Glad you are back.

Batya said...

thanks

Glad you understand.

Sarah Likes Green said...

glad it's back! was wondering what happened ;)

i understand the panic of not having a computer, they can be temperamental!

Batya said...

And this summer, I'll probably be without for 2 weeks, when I visit my parents. Last summer I borrowed a friend's old one, from which I couldn't blog.

Just the thought...