Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Addiction

I have something to admit; I'm an addict. Thank G-d, not to drugs or alcohol, or any of the really dangerous things. I'm a freecell addict. If I'm near a computer that has the game, I just can't control myself.

Of course, I always say: "Just one or two games." And then, suddenly I look up, and a long time has passed. What a waste!

For quite a while, I've hardly played, which is enough. My only access was at my daughter's while babysitting, and as you can imagine, the one-year-old keeps me too busy to play more than a game and a half.

When we had this computer upgraded I made of point of not looking for games, since it's much too accessible, and I waste enough time with email, blogging etc. We have this other computer, a laptop, rarely used. It had freecell and spider solitaire, another great game. For various reasons, it's rarely on and usually in the kids rooms. But recently my husband set it up in the dining room to work on some university papers. And I can't stay away! So the laundry hasn't been sorted and folded; my crocheting projects are gathering dust.

The last time I spent too much time on freecell, I was imagining moves wherever I was, like a chess player going over games.

They had better get that computer away, real fast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who IS addicted to drugs and alcohol, it's insulting to read about someone who takes the word addiction lightly.

Freecell is not an addiction. And it's not even a funny comparison.

Batya said...

I'm sorry to make light of your problems. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

but it is a matter of control, like the diet group "Overeaters anonymous," which considers overeating an "addiction." I guess it's more of a matter of compulsive behavior, a different problem.