Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Passive Solar Cleaning

No, this is neither a typo nor a joke. I'm serious.

When I first became religious, I don't remember anyone ever mentioning that there are all sorts of "holiday-like" restrictions during "chol hamoed,' the "intermediate days" of Passover and Succot. Only in recent years did I refrain from laundering and crafts. This year my hands are itching to crochet, but I've managed to control myself, by eating.

There's something that must be cleaned, but for two reasons, I haven't done it. I'm talking about the little glass cups that hold the candles I light for Shabbat and the holiday. The wax that remains is less of a problem than the piece of metal from the bottom of each small candle. My "cleaning equipment" is in my "chometz" closet, and I don't have enough spares for all of the candles I must light, plus any guests.

I thought hard and came up with the perfect solution:

Passive Solar Cleaning!

Yes, by placing the glass cups outside in the sun, on the shiny side of some aluminum foil, the wax melts, and I can take it and the metal out easily.

Chag Sameach!!

2 comments:

Amy W. said...

I don't suppose if I turn my whole house upside down and leave it in the sun all the mess will fall out?

Batya said...

But then you'd have to sweep it. Best if it sticks to the ceiling, walls etc.