Sunday, April 09, 2006

I've been right, of course

Once I discovered home-viewing on my vcr-dvd, I felt more than fully justified only watching movies at home. When my husband and I were dating we went to lots of movies in the better cinemas of Manhattan. We've certainly changed a lot since then, but according to Nora Ephron the movie theaters have changed even more!

If you have the patience to wait, or if you're as out of the loop as I am in terms of "recent hits," you won't mind waiting until the movies are on sale, as opposed to for sale. The difference is major in terms of price. But if you would be buying for a family of five, or even four, or sharing with a couple of friends, you can buy a newly released dvd for less than what the tickets would have cost you. And that could be just weeks after the movie hits the theaters.

Once a movie is considered "old," it can be found for $10-15 in many stores. When I was in New York, in January, I found a store that reduced prices according to the number of films you bought, which made it pay to stock up periodically, rather than frequently. When we were in the states for a quick visit late March, there was no time to "shop," but we discovered a store at Newark Airport, "Virgin," which had a basket of vintage movies and tv shows on dvd for rock-bottom prices. We spent less than $10- each for most. Considering the poor selection of anything to watch on TV, especially ours, the dvd's are a real treat. We even found the old Disney "Pinocio," the perfect gift for our granddaughters. We bought two Alfred Hitchcock collections and some old "romances," four disk special, which includes Vivien Leigh in Anna Karenina!

Of course Never say never, but I feel perfectly justified, right as usual, in saying that I don't plan on going to "the movies" in a cinema again.

No comments: